Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Blog Post #15: Chapter 17, 18, & Endnote Reading

I really didn't like these two chapters very much, they seemed a bit unrealistic, if very hopeful, which we must give them credit for. The comparisons and visuals are so good, I feel like maybe the author should concentrate on poetry or something so that the grammar that she uses could be more selective and brief; I feel like she got a bit tripped up on all the technicalities and that it dimmed the light of the comparisons and other parts of the book.
On with it:
Interesting sentence:
"When the gavel cracks, wood on wood, the air seems to explode with light. Abba turns around and I see he is crying silent tears." page 159
I felt that, as I just said, this ending was slightly unrealistic. I do not really think that anyone could go into a courtroom and have their problems solved just like that. But hey, I've never been to court, so I how would I know?
As I was reading the end-note, I thought that the government's treatment of the Muslims was extremely unfair. The govt. was viewing them as one whole group when I'm sure they felt that there are huge differences from the Muslims of Bangladesh are different from Muslims in other places. If you look up Muslim, you find out that Muslims are not JUST from one place. Minority groupings of Muslims can even be found in China, North and South America, and Europe. If you are a Muslim from China, you would not look anything like a Muslim from Bangladesh. The govt. of America was not being kind to these people and as Aisha said at her graduation. She wants what they want. A future.

12 comments:

  1. Nice work Ari! I agree with you...the chapters were not very realistic. But Marina Budhos had a lot of great descriptions, similes, and metaphors. The ending seemed to abrupt and cut off, like there should have been more coming. And I don't think that you could go into a court room and have your issue solved so fast! I also agree with you about the Muslims, they were treated very meanly and unfairly! Just because one Muslim decided to do something wrong, doesn't mean that all the Muslims have bad intentions! Nice work on voicing your opinions and thoughts! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice diablog! I agree with you and Puja about the chapters not being that realistic. The writing was still really well done though, full of nice similes. The court scene was SUPER unreal though because you probably couldn't solve such a large issue so quickly! Good diablog and I really enjoyed your commentary on Muslims being a large amount of people that mostly have not done anything wrong. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of you, as usual. I also think it was TOTALLY UNREALISTIC. It was so predictable. These last few chapters you knew what was going to happen in them, when you were reading the beginning of the book. Great diablog RoRo. Nice link to the Muslims. I liked how you noted that the Muslims in China are treated way different from the ones in Bangladesh and other places.
    Over all great Job!
    <3,
    RoBo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you guys. I think the court scene happened way to fast!

    Hmm... You need to be careful what you say. How do you know there are huge differences from the Muslims of Bangladesh than from other places? What kind of differences? Why do you think that if you are a Muslim from China you won't look anything like a Muslim from Bandgladesh? All I am saying is be careful what you say because you don't want it to turn against you. It could be offensive to someone, maybe someone like Nadira or someone who practices that religion.

    -Falcon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some really good questions Falcon. And good opinion. I agree with you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Job Ari!

    I agree with you these chapters were not very relastic, but does that make the chapters bad?
    -jena with one n'ah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your blog! Your points are excellent, and well stated. I also loved how colloquial your writing style seemed in this blog. It felt like we were just chatting and you said 'whats up with that?'Great points Falcon. I really like how you are seeing this from every side
    Great B(log)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Job,

    The chapters were not as realistic as they could have been. She could have used more detail, but maybe she wanted us the reader to have that feeling towards the end like it happen slow yet fast. An also like Jena said just because the chapters weren't very "realistic" doesnt mean they weren't good and powerful.

    ~DaVaughn

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was unrealistic huh? I liked it, even though it was a happy ending. I really don't like books with sad endings though, so... Marina didn't have very good writing skills in the end which kind of ruined it... but great blog! I like the link about Muslims.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean Ari. It kind of sounded like the author had run out of material and just tied up the end of the story with a few lose knots. It did seem a little unrealistic. I mean one moment Aisha had completely lost it, then she feels great and even gives a speech at graduation about her immigrant life, which was the one secret that she didn't want other people to know in the beginning of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you Ari. This book was very predictable, and the ending for me was just cheesy. I think it was a good topic to write about but i think the author should have edited again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i agree ari it did seem very unrealistic. how they just got out just like that. The author is good at descriptions and i like the sentence you chose it's really symbolic. when they the light explodes it's expressing the relief they feel and how everything is going to be ok now, but still it's unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete